Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Freedom and the Number 7 Aren't Related

I don't know about all of you people out there, but I personally love it when I hit a bird with my car. There's something raw and terrific about going down a gravel road at 90+ km/h and accidentally hunting down a bird in the process. Let's just say, in light of this, yesterday was ecstasy. My incredible boss, Gerald Dueck, called me up before work informing me that the crew was going to meet for breakfast at Humptys on perimeter. After a (dare-I-say) scrumptdelicious (that's for all those sunday school boys) conglomoration of perogies, salsa, peppers, onions, salsa, cheese, and scrambled eggs (and 4 cups of coffee), we were off to the jobsite. Accidentally, I meandered from the most direct route and found myself on a back road, still heading the general direction of Starbuck (the location of our new house). This would be no ordinary backcountry trek to the job though... but one of mass death and joy. Sounds morbid. As I was driving, I encountered a flock of birds nicely nestled on the road. There must have been 25 of them. Inevitably, my windshield broke the flight of one poor little sap, and he fell to his ruin on the gravel behind me. According to my personal stats, I had just increased my lifetime bird kills by 50%, moving from 2 to 3. Then, within one minute, another crowd of birds. This time, however, it was my bumper that did the damage, taking out another bird. Two on the day. Well, from the title, you can guess what happened. One more flock - even bigger - 3 deaths to add to the toll. And the last piece of carnage another minute later - 2 more deaths. This brought my daily total to 7. This has got to be a world-record for accidental car killings of birds. I couldn't believe it. Any other astounding bird killing stories?

More important in my own life: Freedom. I found myself very thankful once again for God and the incredible Father and Lover He is. Growing up I was a very unconfident person. I didn't really think much of myself. I pretty much thought I was dirt and that I deserved the teasing/neglect I got. All of this became ingrained deep inside of me and became the motivation for the way I thought about myself and the way I carried out my life. At Bethany, God began an incredible work in me. He began to strip all the layers of self-blame, feelings of uselessness, feelings of inferiority. He began to uncover the creation He had personally designed and ordained. The real 'Cody' began to unveil. As I became more and more confident in who I was, I began to see God and my faith in a whole new perpective. I want to live my life on the edge, free and yet obedient to God's will. Freedom. I love that word. God has set me free from not only sins that I was burdened with for a long time, but also all of those things that people said growing up; the lies that Satan kept shooting at me. He showed me that if He "is for us, who can be against us?" (Romans 8:31). And the crazy part is that it is in our weaknesses and shortcomings that God wants us the most. It seems to me that personal spiritual warfare is pretty much a battle of the weakness. Satan is after that which tempts us, that which brings us down: those things which we are weak in. God wants to make his strength perfect in our weakness. Who will we allow to have our weaknesses? When we give those weaknesses to God; when we give those discouraging lies and manipulations to God; then we can live that freedom that he so badly wants for us to have. I'm passionate about Freedom. It's exhilarating. I can finally be myself and all that God wants for me to be.

What's your take on freedom?

6 Comments:

Blogger Trev and Rebekah said...

Cody, i hear you. Bethany was a place where I found freedom. Also the YMI programs I have been on lead me to freedom from my anorexia. I learned to have confidence again and to really live a life of radical obedience to God.
I am glad that you found that freedom and I hope that you can continue to walk in that.

12:19 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Kudos with the 7 count by the way! I can't say I've killed 7 birds in one day but I do in fact have an awesome story about killing a bird with my car! But just switch bird with rabbit...and car with...um....motorcycle...dangit. I've got nothing. However I did almost hit an owl, and basically hit the floor not remembering I have a windshield to protect me...does that count? Or just make me look stupid?

God has blessed me with so much but if I were to think about it freedom is something He has given me the most of. I have had incredible moments with God when He has shown me what was said and done wasn't true and nothing matters except for what HE thinks about me. Who GOD thinks I am. What I mean to HIM. My life truly has had a whole ton of restoration! And HELLO!!! It's awesome!! But having said that I'm always wanting more.

12:03 AM  
Blogger carissa said...

Thanks so much for that awesome reminder of freedom. It sounds so simple to just give everything to God and we'll be free. Bible school was definately a place for me too where I found freedom..Oh how I miss it. But it's still something I'm working on, so this was really encouraging!
And that bird story, Oh you make me laugh!!!

10:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cody you dog! I don't really have much to say on freedom right now however I will say I think I'll be feel'n a little more free when we're hang'n out! Crazy! I'm calling you right now!

jer

3:37 PM  
Blogger Kimberley said...

Hey Cody, just wanted to let you know that you are not alone. God definitly has been teaching that stuff to us too. The sad part is that even once we learn it all it is still a major process, but God is awesome and is always there to remind us what Freedom really is.
Kim

6:02 PM  
Blogger Keira said...

Hi Cody
I have a box of old notes from high school and one of them was a drawing of a boy with a hockey stick stabbed through his cheek, and I believe you were the illustrator. So it seems your propensity for violence began long ago.
The worst thing I have done with my car is massacre a troupe of dragonflies, but that was an accident, and I was sorry for it. Because my heart isn't all callused from killing things. For shame.

4:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home