Monday, December 11, 2006

To My Extended Family

Ah yes, here I am again to finally get down to something deeper than 'what's going on'. This post goes out to my friends. Hindsight is a wonderful thing, and it's amazing what you can all see when you look closely not just at yourself in the past, but also at people who helped take you in that direction.

As many of you know, one year ago - life was much different. I was engaged to be married and gearing up for a round-the-world trip to visit my soon-to-be in-laws in Muscat, Oman. 365 days later, I'm a very single man gearing up for a trek with some friends down to hot and sunny California. My, things have evolved. Nine months ago, my life turned upside-down. That definitely was the darkest Tuesday I've experienced, but one that has proven to be an incredible place of God's movement in my life.

But like I said: this one is for my friends. Never before in my life have I experienced the love and care of my friends like I have in the past 9 months. I wish I could express how grateful I am in words, but they wouldn't do. Unfortunately for my friends, they've had their ears worn out several times by my lengthy monologues. I would go on for hours, letting everything in my mind out. And yes, they would simply sit their and listen. They would look at me with eyes that loved and just listen. What a gift!

Growing up, I often was confused by the verse in Proverbs that said that 'there is a friend who is closer than a brother'. How could this be? I sure had never experienced it - but longed and prayed for it for so many years in my childhood. I now know what that truly means.

Thank-you, Thank-you, Thank-you! All you people who listened to me; all you who made meals for our family (my mom was going through her surgeries right then as well); all you who called me to see how I was doing; or took me out to something fun to get my mind off of things. To you who prayed so much; or wrote me an encouragement note; or gave me a HUG. Thanks.

Today is my 22nd birthday. I now embark on the 23rd year of my life - and never have I been so excited for what God is doing. Not only do I get to ride this adventure with God, but I also get to have the love and care of my brothers and sisters.

Proverbs 18:24 - it's a promise.

4 Comments:

Blogger carissa said...

Wow Cody your life has sure gone through a lot in one year. Thank the Lord for friends hey! I can't even imagine going through what you did, that's got to be one of the hardest things. But God has brought you through it and that's the most important thing.

10:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Cody,
Thanks for sharing. We really have been amazed at what God has done and is doing in your life. We are excited too for you. We are here any time you need a friend or just want to hang out. Trev always wants to get together more with you. Have a great trip my friend. We'll be praying for you, for safety and wisdom.
-Rebekah and Trev

9:43 AM  
Blogger Dueck said...

I totally remembered your birthday after it happened... Happy Birthday! See you again one day. I like your blog.

4:20 AM  
Blogger Janell said...

Hey Cody,
first time i ventured onto your blog. looks good, i say. anyways, happy birthday (belated). i am encouraged by your honesty.
janell

12:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home