Sunday, May 27, 2007

Mmm...curry

Hey Everyone! Well, it's true - we've reached India! Pretty crazy. Day one in India is about to wrap up and let me tell you - it has been a crazy day! India is WAY different than Thailand. In Thailand, the people are so sweet and kind but in India, they are very rude and pushy. Luke and I were actually pretty tired from a short night before flying out and so our patience was tested to the max numerous times today - but we survived and things are working out one step at a time thanks to the Lord! We are in Madras, and are looking to catch a train or bus down to Madurai as soon as possible so we can be with our missionary friends there. There is so much poverty here - it's unreal. We were riding an auto-rickshaw through Madras on our way to see a fort, and drove through a slums area. It was actually very difficult to see. I've never experienced anything like that before - broke my heart. How can it not? People lying on the sides of the streets - children without clothing - men dying with leprosy: it blew me away. I pray that God would use this experience to continue to mold my heart after his - I can only imagine how much more pain He must experience when he sees his children hurting.
Anyways, the stress and testing of patience did die down later in the day and we went out for some good Indian food and chai tea. Best tea I've ever had in my life...
Luke and I definitely need prayer - 1) things work smooth going to Madurai (we're new at Indian train transport) 2) We will be safe 3) God will continue to guide us and teach us!
Okay, that's it for now - no pictures this time - sorry!
Cody

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Codes, I'm so glad that you're getting to experience everything that is India (interesting is it not?) I remember feeling all of the emotions that you described in your post - frustration, shock, sadness, sympathy. Something that I learnt there (and am continuing to learn while working with the elderly at the hospital) is to seek out the joy in every environment and the strengths and capacities of every person that you meet. It helps me cope on a daily basis. Take care little buddy!
Love and prayers,
Trace

8:53 PM  
Blogger Jennine said...

SE Asia, eh?....will you folks be coming through Korea? I'm headed there at the end of June. I'll be teaching ESL there for the next year. Glad to see that you're both doing well. God Bless!

11:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Cody what your doing out there sounds awesome we are praying for you and keep having the time of your life bro. Little Holly also can't wait to see her uncle.

9:08 PM  
Blogger Cody and Rachel said...

Uncle Cody can't wait to see little Holly and company.

5:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home